UndocU | FAFSA & Common Application Tips for Undocumented Students

– Hi everyone! Alright, let’s get all
the Social Security ish on these national applications straight. Time to break it down! (cheerful music) So there’s plenty of
information and videos on how to fill out the Common App and make the best application possible to get into your top universities. And the same goes for
FAFSA, super detailed info on what all the steps are to fill it out. But what the crap do you do
about the citizenship section or if they ask for your
Social Security number? That’s what this episode is all about. So now we’re gonna switch
on over to the application and my lovely voice will
guide you through this. The Common Application is a
general college application that students can use to apply to many colleges across the country. And it’s actually quite simple for undocumented students to navigate. Once you create your account, you will be taken to your dashboard. Simply click on the Common App tab. You’ll be taken to your
application profile where you’ll fill it out with all
of your personal information before actually filling out the main portions of the application. Scroll down and you’ll see
a citizenship drop-down menu asking you to select
your citizenship status. Choose “other.” Then two more questions will pop up. First list all of the countries
which you are a citizen of. Then for the third
question, currently held United States visa,
select “I do not hold a “currently valid U.S. non-immigrant visa.” If you need help or forget
what to do on this section, there’s a very nice sidebar on the right that gives you directions on how to fill out your citizenship information. It says DACA Status, but this is relevant even if you don’t currently have DACA. Also be aware that some states may require an Affidavit of Intent to
become a permanent resident, just like we talked about
in earlier episodes, but they’re not provided
by the Common Application. You’ll need to contact the
schools that you’re applying to and ask if this is a required document. The FAFSA’s a bit more complicated. FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and it’s used largely to apply for
federal financial aid. Recent changes to the application due to the advocacy efforts of United We Dream now make it clear that we can use our DACA Social Security numbers
to fill out the FAFSA online but if you don’t have
DACA, you will have to fill out a paper version of the FAFSA. “But Sheridan, why would I
want to fill out the FAFSA? “I ain’t eligible for federal aid “as an undocumented student!” The importance of filling
out the FAFSA in states that don’t have their own state
financial aid applications is that there may be private
scholarship providers who have undocu-friendly scholarships and simply want to use the
information on the FAFSA to determine if you are eligible. So if you don’t fill out
the FAFSA in these states, you’re shutting yourself
off from funding resources that you may otherwise be eligible for. To find the paper version of the FAFSA, just google “the paper fafsa” and the year you’re applying to school. Your application should
look something like this. The online electronic application
can be found at fafsa.gov and you will have to apply for a pin using your DACA Social Security number before you can begin
filling out the application. Out of the two, the
paper version is honestly much easier to fill out, especially if your parents don’t have a Social, but we’ll explain why later in the video. In the Student Demographic
Information section, the very first thing to fill out is your name, Social Security
number, and date of birth. Here you can put your DACA
Social just like with your pin. Further along on the online version, you’ll be asked if you have lived in your state for more than five years. If you select no, some questions will pop up that can be pretty confusing. In this portion, the term legal resident simply means where you have lived. It has nothing to do with
your undocumented status so simply put where you live and how long you’ve lived there. This corresponds with questions 18 through 20 on the paper FAFSA. Then on the online FAFSA and
question 14 on the paper, select “No, I am not a citizen
or eligible non-citizen.” On the Parent’s Demographics section, you will be asked for their
Social Security numbers where you will put all zeroes. If they used an ITIN to pay their taxes, do not get confused and put it here. There’s a handy dandy reminder in the side window that’ll remind you. This corresponds to section four, questions 61 and 65 of
the paper version FAFSA. The next tricky part is about taxes. You’ll need to fill out a
section for you and your parents. If your parents do not file taxes, simply put “will not file.” If they do, you could check out this video to help you get this portion
and the student tax information portion of the application under control. The last portion is the signatures. You’ll be able to
electronically sign your FAFSA but if you are a dependent student and have undocumented
parents with no Social, they will have to print
the signature page, physically sign it, and mail
it in to the following address. If you’re going with the paper version, you won’t run into this problem. So again, remember, the paper
version of this application is going to be your
best bet, so start early and if you have any questions,
make sure to get in contact with FAFSA officials and
the Department of Education. See you next week for College
Uncomplicated’s UndocU. Let’s get started with all the
Social Security gish on these oh that’s not right. (laughs) Let’s get all the Social Security
ish on these nah (laughs) national appli (laughs) vabararab.

16 thoughts on “UndocU | FAFSA & Common Application Tips for Undocumented Students

  1. for the legal resident question, I was born in Mexico and am in the process of getting my DACA process. A legal resident means that I have citizenship? 

    I have lived here in CA for more than 15 years, (I'm 17)  What do I put?

  2. Should I leave some sections blank? For the "Month and year you were married, remarried, seperated, or divorced?" (This is for the paper version of FASFA)

  3. THANK YOU! Okay last question, I have submitted my DACA application but received it back due to an incorrect identification and because I didn't put zeros in the section where it asks about my expenses, income, ect… (I live with my parents) I got my passport and filled in the appropriate sections, sent it off and got to their office Jan 16.

    Should I wait a bit and see if I receive my ssn, or just go ahead and file with my alien registration number this month?

  4. Hi, I have DACA but I have to use the apply texas site, do you have any tips for that? As far as the citizenship section goes. I was about to create my profile but there's no option for DACA holders and I'm afraid I won't get in state tuition.thank you for all you guys go for us!!!

  5. My parents don't have SS but filed their taxes, what should I do?? I already tried putting zeroes but that keeps getting rejected because at least one needs an ss.

  6. I am a U.S born citizen but my parents are undocumented and my FAFSA was rejected. Meaning that I have to wait until I'm 24 to be able to afford college on my own, get loans that I might not be able to pay or sarcastically speaking but that can turn into reality suck dick to get through college. I'm 23 now so I can wait another year. I'll just be old after graduation.

  7. So what if you can't get a tax return for your parents from the IRS page which your college wants instead of a 1040? Yes my parents don't have a valid SSN.

  8. I am an international students and I don't know what to put at the question "Are you a U.S. citizen?" What answer should I put guys?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *