What?! – More app ads?!
– Ｗhat? – This time for violin?
– What? What? Wow… Wut wut wut wut wut… Guys, just a word of advice. Don’t learn violin the hard way. Why spend hundreds and thousands of dollars… of you(r) or your parents’ money for musical education, one-on-one private tuitions, teacher listening to you in real life, correcting your mistakes, personalised- We got violin apps! AmaZiNg!! Alright, so we found some… different ads. As always, this is us just reviewing and reacting to the ads as musicians, not the actual app itself cos we haven’t used the app. It might be amazing. Who knows? First one is called Tralalalala. Tralala. “Trala, an app that teaches you the violin!” That wasn’t a down thing. She wasn’t sharp. For those of you that aren’t musicians, the down indicates that her intonation was sharp, – and she should go down.
– Oh! So it’s actually tracking like what note you’re playing? Based on the ad. – I mean I don’t know if the app does that.
– Oh, that’s true. Yeah. – Even assuming if it tracks realtime what you’re playing,
– This is wrong, you can’t- It’s wrong because that was more a – contact point problem.
– Yeah… problem. – The tone went off.
– The bow went off and stuff, yeah. – She went behind the bridge! Oh…
– It’s so blatant! I think- ha ha ha ha! Do you know what this just reminds me of? One of our old skits. Which one? Just any of the skit when I… – Yeah, yeah, yeah!
– Oh oh oh… No actual violinist that can play like that. *laugh* – That doesn’t happen.
– It’s- And it also looks perfect before. Let’s go back a bit. If this is the type of mistake you’re making, – you should not be playing Amazing Grace.
– You… Yes. You should be doing open strings. Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. The, the- All the notes before… the problem would happen earlier. Alright, you see all these ticks? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. It’s like someone that did 6 perfect free throws in the basketball, – And the last one, it just-
– and the 7th throw he threw behind! Yeah, he’s like… – Ughhh… Yeah.
– It’s like… It’s such a big difference! – It doesn’t happen.
– It doesn’t work like that hey. And the app says too sharp. It’s basically like a tuner. Wait. “Too sharp, G.” She’s playing a C. *laugh* (both) E! – Ahh! Perfect E!
– Oh… If you gotta make a violin app to sell to musicians – or mu- like wannabe musicians…
– But that’s just… that’s just a tuner. It’s a tuner, and whoever edited this… – Yeah.
– It’s just a wrong edit, ugh… I love how these apps always try to make it look candid again like… – Yeah…
– That “Oh!” – Oh, oh! Vibrato!
– Oh, and now she’s learnt vibrato! – Ha ha ha, yeah!
– Wow… The app taught her vibrato! Wow… Pretty sure someone that can do vibrato wouldn’t have the bow slide like that. – Exactly! That’s what I mean.
– Like… It’s a different level of… bar level of playing. – Yeah.
– Should be fixing that bow first before you learn the vibrato. – Dude, she’s nailing that.
– Yeah, I know. Okay, so now there was a skid, – but there was a green light.
– But there’s a tick. Okay, sure. Where did the background music come from? It’s like Simply Piano. Simply Collaborative. Simply Collab- So the person who practiced on Simply Collaborative became useful! *laugh* Something that’s bothering me about this backing track is it’s not in time with the violin. Listen. Ha ha ha, yeah! Oh my god, so off! One! It’s a quaver off. And she’s not sharp, it was a skid. I know. The same skid you did for that C before that you green ticked. Make up your mind! You know what’s really weird? The amount of views, and the amount of likes and dislikes. I think they got bots just to watch the video. I’m not- I’M A MUSICIAN!! Is the app come with these two? I want them, man. Oh yeah, someone commented: Hmm… Oh! Someone’s like… – Yeah… Ohh…
– Oooh… – Oh ha ha ha ha ha!!
– OH… A was too long! 1… And she went… – I have to slow down.
– Yeah, yeah, yeah. Some tasteful rubato cos the app teaches rubato! Oh my god! Musicality? What?! Oh… This one’s called Violy, the best violin app! Uh… Violy? Dude, same thing! – 250,000 views with 28 thumbs up?
– Same thing, yeah. “Violy. Practice makes perfect.” You know what? Practice doesn’t make perfect. Oof! Alright, just to give you guys some context, our video with 500,000 views, double this has 34,000 likes. And 201 dislikes. *sob* This has 28. So if that had this many views, it would only have 56, compared to 34,000. – That just looks something sus.
– Yeah. Wait, what? “Ding! You’re all tuned to go!” It’s impossible to tune like that! Oh, I love how it tells you to tune in piano as well, but he just went like… You can’t tune like that! Guys, when you tune… First, okay you- A. If it’s a single note, you can find a tuner. Get that A right. Once you get the A, you tune the fifths. There you go. Because the instrument needs to resonate. You can’t tune that fast, either. Like what if they weren’t in tune? – What was he gonna do?
– Yeah *mumble* Ding! I love there’s like a quit button here. Just quit life. Quit violin. – Quit.
– He also didn’t shift on the 1st finger – that is written on the music.
– He’s not fingerin- He’s not following the fingerings. Yeah, so what’s the point? Is he even reading the music? He’s not even using the app! – I know. It’s just small.
– He’s just playing. How is this the best violin app? – It’s just reading music.
– This is a performance he did, and then they plugged a… – app there to make it look like he’s using the app.
– Yeah. – He did not become like this through using the app.
– He did not- Yeah, the app doesn’t help you improve. This is pretty like… obviously fake. You don’t have this app and all of a sudden you can play a piece like that. Look, okay, if this is an app for reading music… – Yeah.
– But the way they’re promoting is “if you use the app, you can practice with it and get better.” This is horrible! This is actually worse than just practicing with sheet music because in real practice, – you want to stop whenever you make a mistake.
– Yes. Whereas this ad just encourages you – to keep playing through.
– Keep playing, keep playing, yeah. And that’s actually a point that we should’ve said for all these apps. They don’t encourage you to like… stop. Like Simply Piano. It just keeps scrolling. – Yeah, it just keeps scrolling.
– Nah, man… Alright, last violin app. It’s called… “Let’s Play Violin.” Well hey, at least the views kind of make sense with the likes. Yeah! We all know how tough it can be to get kids to practice their instrument. Is this real? Cos it looks almost already like a parody. – Like a skit. Yeah, parody.
– Yeah. Cos kids really do… Imagine something that could help them get better quicker if practice time was fun for kids! First, play. Your child plays the music either solo with a metronome or with our piano accompaniment. They can even choose what sections to focus on. If they choose what section to focus on, they can just choose it themselves. They don’t need the app to choose for them. The music’s there, right? Yeah. And metronome, you can just use a metronome. Maybe the backing track is a little bonus thing? I mean at least this one is saying it has a backing track. – The other ones were…
– Yeah. – *inaudible*
– He just holds banjo. Our magic AI tech gives them instant co- “Magic AI tech.” This is so AI, guys. Tap the screen, and it’ll even coach them on how to improve. Third, listen! Children can listen back to themselves, and compare with the demo track to boost their musicality before playing again. It works side by side with teachers because students can get better in between lessons. Not because they’re told to, but because they want to. A lot of problems with this one. You know, there were times when I wanted to be like… Hey, at least they weren’t so fake. Like the views weren’t fake, and also… At least it says – “use this app in conjunction with a teacher.”
– With the teacher, yeah. So they’re not trying to sell you this idea that you can become good in 2 weeks just by using this app. But then, some other bits, again, just so like scripted and- The kid needs to learn intonation, – hearing the right notes first.
– Yeah. That’s a dif- whole another issue. An app can’t teach you that. Yeah, like, yeah, sure you can record yourself. That’s cool, but like – if they don’t know what they’re listening out for.
– Yeah, they’re not gonna be like… Critical listening analysis. Mmm… “Oh, that was the note that I was… not in tune!” Yup. I think what all of these apps are missing is there’s so much more nuance… In music. in music and learning instrument… Yes. …than they’re trying to portray it to be… One, I’m trying to like, think for them. Like what could be a positive thing to say. And that might be… it could bring in different audiences. – No, it won’t!
– Such a generic argument. It might even get people away from it. They’d be like “This doesn’t work. I don’t wanna learn violin anymore.” That’s true. It’s actually gonna be like “It doesn’t make sense. I don’t understand.” – There you go!
– There you go! But no, like… In reality, it just seems like they’re making an app for the sake of an app. Because everyone’s making apps. That’s what trending today, right? Alright guys, thank you so much for watching. If you’re not a musician, considering to learn an instrument, we highly suggest you find a teacher. Please like and subscribe. And we’ll see you guys next time. Wut? Wut?